Friday, October 10, 2008

Its not just beauty that lies in the eyes of the beholder

For reason(s) unknown, the song "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" was doing its rounds in my brain. It was so persistent that I had to spare a thought to what it actually meant. But I found myself stuck right at the first line. I wondered when can we truly say that the "going gets tough". The more I thought about it, the more I realised that the answer to this question "lies in the eyes of the beholder". For some, the falling stock market means the end of life; for some, a conked out rocket launch means failure; for some, a flopped movie means one more opportunity lost; for some, a broken heart calls for Rum (Remember, ghum ka saathi rum ??.. ;) ); for some, a failed exam is loss of face; for some, looking bad is hardship; for some, losing 100Rs.is path to penury; for some gaining weight is the biggest curse and the list is endless. So, how do we decide what was "tough". Or, is our life so full of misery that we should call all of the above as "tough"?
Ofcourse not. In fact, what is tough for one, is not really so tough for the other. For eg., for a school-goer, the falling stock market is not a tough situation. For a movie-maker, losing 100Rs. is not a tough situation and so on..

Also, given a situation, each living being decides to act/react in a particular way. How do we decide, who has been "tough"? For eg., one could call the movie-maker tough if he decides to make another movie while another could call him dumb. 

The summary of my rambling and the consequent answer to my musing is that the line "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" is subjective and that everything is just a perspective and relative. Be it beauty or be it a tough situation or be it a tough person or be it anything. Of course, facts are mutually exclusive to perspectives. Oopps.. have I wasted so much of my time in merely stating the obvious?? Or did I lead you to believe that this is obvious? 

Phew! Apologies for torturing my unsuspecting readers. I'll try to write better next time.. 
But again, define "better"... Ok Ok.. I am stopping here.. Not again :)

2 comments:

Rajasekhar Kandalam said...

Hey...welcome back!!!

Good to see that you are killing time apart from killing Bhanu with your pranks :)...

...happy killing...oops...blogging!!!! :)

Kakshi said...

That was indeed killing! I hope a better song is stuck in your head next time :P